Wednesday 3 April 2013

Sun comes to Joppa and inspires my mini beach clean


What a glorious day for my 4/50 blast: warm and sunny - it this our one day of summer...?
Started on the Prom at Joppa then dropped down onto the beach where I spotted a car tyre. Once I'd got the sand out of it, I was able to heave it up onto the Prom, and that was me in back in beach clean mode.
It took 10 mins longer to do the first 1k, but on the way I must have collected 3 poly bagfuls of beer cans, plastic bottles, old polypropylene rope, sweetie wrappers and assorted plastic objects that should not return to a marine environment on the next tide.
Then I got on with the other 4k - or I'd never have got any work done today.
Last time I did this, I found most of the bits of a scooter except the engine, plus loads more poly bagfuls. And that's on top of the council's regular beach-cleaning tractor. Think I'll start a waste collection challenge on the local Portobello websites when this 5x50 is over. Seems that challenges are quite addictive!


Practical Action - my inspiration for this 5x50 2013 challenge. 

Donate at: Virgin Money Giving page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PennyHaywoodCalder

Practical Action uses technology to challenge poverty in developing countries and each year help around a million people break out of the cycle of poverty ... for good.



No comments:

Post a Comment